Is interior pest control safe?

The Safety of Indoor Pest Control Aerosols Ant or cockroach baits can be injected into crevices or establish a known traffic pattern they have established. The residues of these insecticides can be attractive to pets and can be seen by people, so use them with extreme caution around pets and children. An Official U.S. Government Website Using Official Websites.

Gov A. the government website belongs to an official government organization in the United States. Pesticides are chemicals used to kill or control pests, including bacteria, fungi and other organisms, as well as insects and rodents. According to a recent survey, 75 percent of the U.S.

UU. Households used at least one pesticide product indoors during the past year. The most commonly used products are insecticides and disinfectants. Another study suggests that 80 percent of most people's exposure to pesticides occurs indoors and that measurable levels of up to a dozen pesticides have been found in the air inside homes.

Sold as sprays, liquids, sticks, powders, crystals, balls and nebulizers. In 1990, the American Association of Poison Control Centers reported that about 79,000 children were involved in common household poisoning or pesticide exposures. In households with children under five years of age, almost half stored at least one pesticide product within reach of children. In addition to the active ingredient, pesticides also consist of ingredients that are used to transport the active agent.

These carrier agents are called inert in pesticides because they are not toxic to the target pest; however, some inerts are capable of causing health problems. National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC) Pesticides are classified as semi-volatile organic compounds and include a variety of chemicals in various forms. In addition, the EPA is concerned that cyclodienes can cause long-term damage to the liver and central nervous system, as well as an increased risk of cancer. Early Research Shows Widespread Presence of Pesticide Residues in Households.

Read the label and follow the instructions. It is illegal to use any pesticide in any way that does not comply with the instructions on its label. Unless you have undergone special training and are certified, never use a pesticide that is restricted to state-certified pest control operators. These pesticides are simply too dangerous for an uncertified person to apply.

Use only pesticides approved for use by the general public and then only in recommended amounts; increasing the amount offers no further protection from pests and can be harmful to you and your plants and pets. Ventilate the area well after using pesticides. Use non-chemical methods of pest control when possible. Termite damage can be reduced or prevented by ensuring that wood construction materials do not come into direct contact with the ground and by storing firewood away from the home.

By properly fertilizing, watering and aerating lawns, the need for chemical pesticide treatments for lawns can be drastically reduced. If you decide to use a pest control company, choose one carefully. If you have unused or partially used pesticide containers that you want to dispose of, dispose of them according to label instructions or on special household hazardous waste collection days. If there are no such collection days in your community, work with others to organize them.

Keep exposure to moth repellents to a minimum. A pesticide often found in the home is paradichlorobenzene, an active ingredient commonly used in moth repellents. This chemical is known to cause cancer in animals, but there is substantial scientific uncertainty about the effects, if any, of long-term human exposure to paradichlorobenzene. EPA requires that products containing paradichlorobenzene carry warnings, such as avoiding breathing vapors, to warn users of possible short-term toxic effects.

Whenever possible, paradichlorobenzene and items that need to be protected against moths should be placed in trunks or other containers that can be stored in areas that are ventilated separately from the home, such as attics and separate garages. Paradichlorobenzene is also the key active ingredient in many air fresheners (in fact, some moth repellent labels recommend that these same products be used as air fresheners or deodorants). Proper ventilation and basic household cleaning will go a long way in preventing unpleasant odors. If chemicals must be used, use only recommended amounts, mix or dilute pesticides outdoors or in an isolated, well-ventilated area, apply to unoccupied areas, and dispose of unwanted pesticides safely to minimize exposure.

EPA Citizen's Guide to Pest Control and Pesticide Safety (PDF) (53 pgs., 4.17 MB, About PDF) Pest Management in Schools. Designed to encourage school officials to adopt IPM practices to reduce children's exposure to pesticides; includes information on starting a program, success stories, and funding. Insect sprays, herbicides, and basically any type of eradicating chemical scare people. Consider the case of glyphosate, a 40-year-old herbicide that many consider extremely safe.

However, in recent years, concern about its effects on people and the environment has increased, leading to legal cases and an increase in requests for its regulation. Children who have been exposed to certain pesticides used in homes may be at increased risk of childhood diseases, according to a new analysis of previous studies. In the analysis, researchers analyzed several studies that examined the possible relationship between exposure to residential pesticides and childhood cancers. They found that children who have been exposed to indoor insecticides are 47 percent more likely to be diagnosed with childhood leukemia than those who have never been exposed.

They are also 43 percent more likely to receive a diagnosis of childhood lymphoma. It's important to remember that pesticides are designed and manufactured to kill organisms, and parents should avoid using these chemicals around their children and in places where children spend a lot of time (Zahm & Ward, 199. I recently developed an ant problem in my home. Is it safe to use insecticide sprays to kill them? Find out why pest repellents can be especially unsafe for pregnant women. Learn the best ways to prevent insect bites outdoors, including free access to our ratings of eight insect repellent products.

Build & Buy Car Buying Service Save thousands of dollars on the MSRP with upfront dealership pricing information and a transparent car buying experience. Get ratings on the go and compare while you shop. The application of pesticides indoors will help reduce the presence of pests indoors because it kills the living, eggs and larvae. When you spray your house, the cycle of pest eggs stops, which only means that they cannot multiply, since development has already been blocked.

Spraying indoors may not be good for your health, but it's great for preventing worsening infestations. Go Forth Pest Control Trad Area Exterminators will ensure that when spraying indoors, safe and effective sprays are applied for best results. Pesticides and insecticides contain chemicals that are used to attack the nervous system of insects and cause them to die. Some of the magazines have reported that three out of four women are exposed to pesticides in the home.

For the latter, the possible effects of endocrine disrupting pesticides on the female reproductive system, i. When professionals do pest control, they often use sprays as an initial treatment to control pests, but it will depend on the pest you have at home. If you have a new or ongoing infestation, you should spray your home inside because some pests have already built their nests inside your home. Researchers encourage indoor non-chemical control measures; therefore, in an IPM approach to vector control, pesticides play a role as a general pest control device.

In addition, homeowners should keep in mind that the dose, timing, and duration of exposure are critical to a pesticide's ability to cause harmful effects. They are also more likely to be exposed to pesticides by crawling on the floor and putting their hands and other objects in their mouths. Children who are exposed to pesticides indoors have a high risk of leukemia and the risk increases during the first three months of pregnancy and when professional pest control services are used at home. If you have leftover pesticide, store it in the original bottle, out of reach of children and pets.

When you share a wall with your neighbor, it's not easy to deal with pest problems, since the source can be found on the other side of the wall. However, the authors also noted: “After application of the spray, pesticide residues settle on floors and surfaces, contributing to an increased risk of dermal contact for children who crawl and play on the floor. When someone has just treated the pet for fleas or lice and is exposed to a pesticide, the risks to the baby are small. Mix or dilute pesticides outdoors or in a well-ventilated area and only in quantities that will be needed immediately.

Applying pesticides alone is not effective in controlling mosquito populations because it is difficult to introduce the pesticide into mosquito habitats due to weather conditions (rain, wind) or changes in adult mosquito activity. . .

Blanche Hochstine
Blanche Hochstine

Extreme internet ninja. Total baconaholic. Subtly charming zombie advocate. Hipster-friendly coffee evangelist. Professional pop culture fanatic.